CALL for VOLUNTEERS to CONDUCT HOMESSLESS COUNT in HALIFAX
POINT-in-TIME COUNT and REGISTRY WEEK 2018
April 24th – 29th, 2018
From community DATA to community ACTION! We are looking for volunteers to assist with the 2018 Halifax Homelessness Point-in-Time Count (PiT) and Registry Week. Volunteers survey individuals on the street, in shelters, and at community-based locations in Halifax.
By volunteering, you will be part of a national strategy in helping to better understand the nature and extent of homelessness in Halifax. Information collected provides critical insights that is used to create real change immediately and in the long term for homeless or insecurely housed members of our community. Your help will be used to:
- Prioritize resources where they are most needed
- Coordinate service delivery for best outcomes
- Identify opportunities for action
- Track progress over time
- Support advocacy efforts
- Collect broad-scope, evidence-based knowledge for informed decision making
- Have previously worked within a social service capacity
- Have a non-judgmental attitude
- Are compassionate, accepting, and comfortable with one-on-one conversation
The surveys involve identifying and conducting a survey with people who are homeless or insecurely housed. We request a volunteer commitment of a minimum of six hours over the course of the week (choose your own schedule from a list of events across HRM). Every volunteer must also attend a 2-hour training session during the week of April 16th. Volunteers must be 19 years of age or older.
To apply, please complete and return the online application form no later than Friday, March 23, 2018. This initiative is primarily volunteer driven, so please consider offering your assistance. If you have any questions, please contact Laurie Dolhan at email@example.com.